February 22, 2014 - Saturday
Aligning your Strategy through Metaphors
Maybe metaphors don’t “float your boat”, but still, you use them every day to simplify and animate your messages.You’re “swimming up-stream” without them, right? This session shows how pushing metaphor and symbol use to the extreme can be a powerful aid in working with groups, whether for setting strategy, improving process quality improvement or addressing organization culture. The idea for metaphor “languages” emerged from some creative Digital Equipment Europe minds in the 1980s and has since been more developed, largely to meet needs in the U.N. system. This hands-on session will give you a new way of thinking about workshop design and fresh options for facilitating group alignment.
- Insights about how metaphors can help groups understand varying perspectives, stimulate creativity and build teamwork
- Experience thinking and working with metaphors and symbols – You’ll use four tools, learn principles for creating others
- Experience how the process of consolidating visual images builds ownership and commitment
EVENT: Aligning your Strategy through Metaphors
DATE: February 22, 2014 - Saturday
LOCATION: DaVinci Institute, 511 E. South Boulder Road, Louisville, CO 80027
DIRECTIONS: Driving Directions
COST: $69, Members: $49, SuperMembers: Free
TOPIC: Aligning your Strategy through Metaphors
SPEAKER: Larry Raymond
SPEAKER: Larry Raymond
Visual Language Expert and Founder of Metaphor Mapping
Born and educated in Massachusetts, Larry Raymond's career took him through big companies like Union Carbide, Digital, Lotus and IBM and into small international consulting businesses. Along the way he developed a passion to help bridge the yawning gaps in institutional effectiveness in developing countries— And that started his work in cross-cultural communication and visual symbol languages. He’s applied these visual, metaphoric principles in scores of countries on subjects from HIV prevention to export development to government organization to the business process redesign, transformation, TQM, culture change and other areas. He’s written a book and several eBooks on the subject you can access at http://www.metaphormapping.com/category/library/ebooks/. Larry now lives in Boulder Colorado.
- For simplification
- For fresh perspective
- Insight from both intuition and logic
- For group dynamics
- The "visual thinking" experience
- Utility of metaphors for different needs
- Additional metaphors and approaches
- What's involved in developing a "language"